Powered by Blogger.

6 things I missed about my bed

Wednesday 30 October 2013

So I went to visit my best friend at her uni and I had to share a bed with her, which was absolutely fine. It was a double and she doesn't wiggle much, and her snoring wasn't too awful. It was very much the better bed sharing experience I've had this year. I had to share a single bed with someone and I barely got two hours sleep because I was so uncomfortable. So here's the list of things I missed about my own bed.

  1. Not having to worry about my wiggling. I wiggle a lot, I spread out a lot and generally, my self-awareness drops to zero when I'm unconscious. I will definitely take up all the space if I can. Give me an inch, I'll take a hell of a lot more space (that's the phrase, right?). So when I'm back in my own bed I don't have to worry about kicking the other person or rolling onto them or punching them in the face. I have realised how much I take that for granted.
  2. Getting all the cover. I know how annoying it is not having enough of the duvet when you're sharing and I am always paranoid I'm taking up too much. I don't want to be a crappy guest and steal all the blankets so I'm constantly in the state of only just having enough because I don't want to be selfish. Back home on my single bed I have a double duvet and it's ALL MINE. It's absolute paradise.
  3. My attire is my business. Fran was upset with me because at points I couldn't be bothered to put my pj bottoms on to bed, which is totally fair enough because it was her bed and so her rules. But I'm not very good at being told what to do generally so while I respected her, I secretly couldn't wait to go home and have my own pj bed rules. Last night I slept naked and it was GLORIOUS. Maybe tonight I'll wear pjs, who knows. But hey, it's my bed, I wear what I want in it.
  4. My body is my business. Fran was also a bit upset with me because I'd lay on the bed with my feet (with socks on, mind) near the pillows and she did not like that at all. I didn't ask why, we're not here to judge her or make her feel weird about how she likes her bed, we're all different. Personally, I didn't see a problem but it did make me feel a little odd having to limit my feet to the bottom half of the bed. It was great to be back home where I can put my feet anyway and not give a hoot.
  5. Speaking of pillows, I need, like, four. Most people only have one or two on their bed but I like to be well padded. Lots of pillows and a duvet too big for my bed, it's like I purposefully make myself claustrophobic in my sleep. But it's certainly something I miss when I'm staying somewhere else.
  6. My cat/foot warmer. When I was staying with Fran, I missed my cat enormously. I skyped my brother and had him show me my cat and I legit started crying. That's how much my cat means to me. He's got this special spot at the foot of my bed where he likes to sleep, either on a pillow or on one of my fluffy jumpers and I always sneak my feet under his belly as it's nice and soft and warm. I miss my cat a lot when I'm away and I always have him chilling in my room at least six hours when I get home. He did pee on my bed last night though so I kicked him out. I had fresh sheets and everything! He'll be back in tonight though. He can't help peeing in his sleep, he's an old man, I have to forgive him... then make him sleep on a towel just in case.
A blog post about my bed, written from my bed. That was fun!

2 comments

  1. The bed has to be a king sized bed if I’m going to share it with anyone. Like you, I wiggle a lot in my sleep. So if I’m going to share a bed with someone; that someone should be stiff and doesn’t snore when asleep. Most importantly, the mattress should be comfortable enough to sleep on.
    Roberta @ MattressGlendale.com

    ReplyDelete