Powered by Blogger.

Flowers album review

Sunday 3 February 2013

I like Icelandic music. The majority of my ipod is Icelandic bands - Sigur Rós Björk  Múm, Seabear, Amiina, Pascal Pinion, Útidúr, Sóley - you get the idea. There's something about the landscape, the isolation from most Western culture, the small population, that brings the people of that little island together to make such great music. Though my tastes tend to be fusions of indie, folk, pop and experimental with a touch of instrumental and post-rock thrown in, Iceland produces almost every genre so you can stop stereotyping and judging right now. And it's all very good. Now, for something very special...

An artist and musician, Sindri Már Sigfússon, has released a new album Flowers under the name of Sin Fang
Artist: Sin Fang
Album: Flowers
Release date: 1st February 2013
Label: Morr Music
Genre: Indie Pop


I really bloody like this album. I seriously adore it. Since I brought it yesterday morning, I've listened to it all the way through at least six or seven times. It's a great album because every song matters. Nothing is filler, everything is emotional and real. Every song has had the right amount of effort put into it. Sindri is a beautiful lyricist and musician (just watch some of his piano/acoustic covers and versions of his songs, or any of his earlier work with band Seabear - he's got talent!) and paired with Alex Somers, an adorable little man from Boston who now lives and works in Reykjavík, this album is striking. 

Alex has recorded and mixed plenty of other albums for Icelanders, notably Jónsi's Go and Sigur Rós' Valtari as well as for bands such as Kira Kira and Pascal Pinion and his own personal project with Jónsi that they travelled to Hawaii to mix in the jungle. He can manage vast musicscapes and intricate little layers and details. I'd trust my album with him. You want to listen to everything he's done at full volume to hear every little thing that makes what he's mixed memorable. Look at that cute picture of Sindri and Alex from Mr Sigfússon's tumblr.


Personally, I've been waiting for Flowers for about a year. I followed Sindri and Alex's adventures over on Sindri's tumblr, where they posted lots of photos and a very strange video or two from the recording and mixing. They have a very special bromance. I was very familar with Alex and Sindri's work separately and to see them come together was like a dream come true.

The album Flowers follows Sin Fang's EP Half Dreams released last autumn. I loved the EP, I thought it the man's strongest work yet. I jump between liking the songs similarities with each other and finding it a little bland. But I mostly loved the retro crazy feel of it. I can imagine Strange House being played in retro American diners and fitting nicely. Only Eyes was an exceptionally strong single and I identified heartily with the lyrics in Walk With You, the slightly melancholy melody resonating in my heart. The piano version Sindri played for the Reykjavík Grapevine was particularly lovely.

But Sin Fang has outdone himself with Flowers. As brilliant as I thought Half Dreams was, Flowers is a million times better. 

Young Boys
The opening and chorus lyrics "We were young boys, smoking in the woods/I showed you how, I showed you how" is immediately catchy with the bass and diverse harmonies after the bare introduction of tambourine, slight vocalisations and what I can only describe as something twinkly and pretty. The song continues quite thinly at first, Sin Fang’s smooth voice just floating across the surface steadily. His signature soft background vocals and harmonies play an important part in the instrumentation, along with plucking strings here and there, with it building gradually with each chorus that you don’t even notice the piano, strong beat and fuller set of strings and static creeping in. By the end of this 3 and a half minute song, you are immersed in this dreamy world and ready for more. Though calm and reflective in tone, it’s a song you want to have on repeat for hours and is always rewarding.

What’s Wrong With Your Eyes
Straight in with the upbeat melody and “oohs”, the bass and beat kick in quickly. It follows Young Boys perfectly. Some of the verse lyrics get lost a little but it sure does sound lovely. The chorus lyrics “When I tell you you’re alright/there’s nothing wrong with your eyes” feel personal, like Sindri’s saying it to you. The song is initially sweet and kind before the middle 8 changes the tone slightly and the piano twinkles a little off key, but the next verse brings it back round to that kindness of before. This is another song you want to listen to forever. There’s the typical radio synth sound effect on his voice at times that Sindri never seems to ditch. When you think it’s all over, he comes back with a beautiful string, piano and brass arrangement that reminds me of a glorious summer’s day in a wood clearing, with bees and butterflies and it’s just beautiful. This song makes me really happy, even though a closer look at some of the lyrics that reveal themselves to be not far from gloomy. Though pop-y in sound, there’s nothing to hate and it’s far from cheesy. One of the best on the album, in my opinion.

Look At The Light
We get a music video for this one! When I first watched the video, I was blown away by imagery (and instantly recognised the director, Máni M. Sigfússon, Sin Fang’s brother, who has directed a number of his music videos before). I was also intrigued by the sound of the song but dismissed it at the time. I was too excited for the released of the album and still obsessed with Young Boys, which had been premièred already. I had to listen to it again a few times, in context with the rest of the album, and really read into the lyrics before it suddenly hit me. And boy, did it hit me! It goes a little slower than the previous two songs, the lyrical content a little darker; “swallow me” echoing through the musicscape in a possitively haunting manner. The ups and downs flow like a stream down an icy mountainside, more piercing strings and piano held in place with Sindri’s voice. The lyrics get lost a little at times, again, and the tone makes me sad. I really identify with the lyrics, in my way, as Sindri writes very subtly, the full extent of the situation hidden most wonderfully and therefore creating something instantly relatable yet strangely personal. The first solemn, sad song and it really delivers. Another favourite; it fills up my head completely. Have a look at the video:


Sunbeam
This song has my favourite little section of the entire album – “And then when I am older/I’ll let you stand on my shoulder/I’ll be a rock, a boulder/I’ll be a spirit hand holder”. It’s magnificently light, fun and catchy – the core elements of a good song you can’t stop singing along to. This is possibly the brightest song of the album. The harp pulls you in then the beat hits you and Sindri seduces you with his fast words and lovely vocalising. The song is childish, with themes of childhood and parenthood combining in a wonderful clash of bass and strings. It’s full of brilliant little melodies that mean you really have to listen to this song loud to absorb everything – this whole album needs to be heard at full blast, quite honestly!

Feel See
This begins as your beautiful walk in the country, all green and alive, all strings and quiet. Sin Fang’s vocals are the clouds floating above you, singing sweet songs of love and beauty and calm. It’s a little electronic at moments; the radio static sounds returning once again. Almost philosophical here - “Is there someone that feels like me/that there is nothing to feel or see” - this song is nature personified, with the talk of little animals, mountains and caves and rivers that just buzzes out when it wants to. Serenity at its finest, Feel See is a song to contemplate and relax with. Though not the deepest of depths explored as far as the musicscape of the album goes, it’s light yet full. It does not require anything more.

See Ribs
This is where the album takes a darker, angrier turn. This song is powerful and heated in tone: the ripping electric guitar indicates this from the off. The sound reminds me of Florence and the Machine’s Kiss With A Fist. Though the lyrics are somewhat petty in places “Boy you know I hate you and all your friends/Boy you know I hate you and all your problems”, Sindri pulls it off without sounding like too much of a dick. Though a well fashioned song, it lacks a lot of the originality Sindri usually brings to his music. It’s one of the key things that interests me in his music – though romantic, it’s not like the bland pop music you hear every day on the popular radio that talk about loving a girl forever or having sex and all that. Sindri sings of real love and though an angry song is fresh from him, it feels like every other song about that douche you can’t stand. I imagine it will be the first song I get tired of and I seem to dislike it a little more with each playing (but that might be just because I’ve had it on a loop for twenty minutes to write this section). Nevertheless, it is worth a listen, even if I think it’s the weakest link. Might be a good idea to start loving it ironically.

Catcher
Catcher flows well from See Ribs - much calmer. The electric guitar remains, though curiously quieter, the piano taking over for once. Sin Fang pulls you in with a lingering melody that brings up the hue gently. The strings and brass return and it’s homely and familiar now. After the shock of the harshness of the previous song, it feels like you’ve got off the motorbike of See Ribs you used to get home from that beautiful wood. Now you’ve got your coffee and you’re waiting for the love of your life to come over. It’s strangely uplifting in its way. Catcher is the dark horse of the album; you don’t expect it to be as wonderful as you find it.

Everything Alright
This song is odd as far as the movement of the album so far goes. It breaks away from the rest a little, talking about dreams that have been lost or forgotten and discarded. You wonder who it’s directed at and why. It’s enigmatic and the beat feels like it bounces from one foot to another with every word. I don’t know why, but it feels nursery rhyme-like to me. Maybe your love has come over but you have disagreed over something. It mystifies me quite frankly but I enjoy the more electric sections, the synths are really used well here. Watch out for some more static and voice effects.

Not Enough
More electric guitar but it’s calmer at first. You can feel the end is near but the pace picks up. The melancholy can’t be shaked though. The lyrics are similar to before; some sort of emotional exhaustion is mentioned once again. But it’s strong. It soldiers on with great crescendos. Not Enough is a very human song, something I would expect of Sindri. Key lyrics that catch my attention include “You know what it’s like to be afraid to fall asleep” and “I’ve been afraid since the day I was born, nerves severed and torn”. This song speaks of the human endeavour to survive and I like it more with each listen, the insight I’ve gained by analysing it making it all the more pleasurable. Bravo Mr Sigfússon!

Weird Heart
At first the title reminds me of another Sin Fang song – an opening lyric I cannot forget (“Weird heart, you are my skeleton”) but this song is all it’s own. A little experimental but a fine end to the album. The drum beat keeps the tempo up and spirits high. It changes a little in the middle, sounding a little more like a pop song, some sort of inspirational ballad you might hear from a more popular band. The strings soothe me, lets me know it’s all going to be okay. And Sindri is vocalising to an orchestra of sound and I’m home. I want to cry because it’s beautiful but it’s going to be over so soon. It reminds me of Electric Light Orchestra in some ways and then it fizzes away and leaves me feeling like I’ve been on a magnificent journey with this album.


Last Remarks
Rating: 4* or 8.75/10
Favourite songs: What’s Wrong With Your Eyes, Look At The Light, Sunbeam
Least Favourite: See Ribs, Everything Alright

I would definitely recommend this album to any friend, whether they know Sin Fang or not. It's an album anyone can enjoy due to it's soft pop and electronic vibe as well as beautiful harmonies and lyrics.

The album is available on Anost (CD + Vinyl), iTunes (US / UK), Gogoyoko and probably Spotify or wherever else you buy music. Sin Fang's tumblr is sinfang.tumblr.com obvs. You should go have a look at some of the photos (though you might have to scroll through a few pages, it was a while ago).


One final remark - I have also (roughly) analysed the themes in the album but this review was getting a bit long and I was very unorganised so here is a link to the themes in another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment