Powered by Blogger.

This feels like a long post.

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Sometime in the early hours of this morning I finished reading "The Fault in Our Stars". To be quite honest, it made me want to die, but equally it removed any trace of that thought forever. I think this book has changed me but I'm not sure yet. It's too early to tell. I kind of feel a little empty when I think about it, about the beginning and the middle and certainly the end and the beautiful characters and the horrible characters and everything. It said a lot of smart stuff - one quote I remember in particular, murmured by my least favourite character to my favourites "the important thing is not whatever nonsense the voices are saying but what the voices are feeling". I was disappointed that they did not understand what he meant, when I understand so clearly. I don't want to say much more; I have book feelings.

I suppose it doesn't help that I'm still getting over my heart break from the BBC Sherlock finale. But it's probably a good idea not to get me started on that.


Later this morning, I had my first volunteer shift at a local charity shop. I'm doing it for my CV and because it's a good thing to do. It was a lot more enjoyable that you would have thought. I organised and tidied the book section, completely rearranging the education section (only because I could sit on the floor rather than lean over and I got a bit distressed over the disorganised mess of a bottom shelf. I moved the books around so it went piano music-ks3 books-gcse books-as/a2 books-language books-other learning books. That was far too much information to put into brackets, gosh, I should give up some of my dreams of becoming a world famous author, or even a semi-famous one). I also tided the children's section a little, spent a lot of time chatting to the woman on the tills, whose name has escaped me, but her son went to my old school and she has this lovely red hair and is quite tall. Additionally, I helped look for items for the new display the manageress and the other lady were putting up.

I also caught a glimpse of my first real hipster! He waltzed in and immediately headed for the clothes. He reminded me of a young Kjartan Sveinsson (who you should google because he is super!), what with his dark brown hair and thick matching beard. He wore Buddy Holly style glasses, an obvious convention of dressing like a hipster and their easiest identifiable trait. I didn't pay too much attention to his attire, one, because his face was interesting, two, because he was hidden behind a rack of clothes before I had really realised he was there and three, because I couldn't really see that well (my own thick rimmed black glasses locked away in the staff room leaving me short sighted and somewhat blind to anything beyond arm reach). I didn't notice him leave - those hipsters, slippery customers!

The rest of today I have spent feeling very tired and perhaps a little irritated. I'll probably start on my next book - the first Hunger Games book (I've read the second, it was awesome!) - tomorrow or at least by the end of the week.

There's today's theme - Stokkseyri, by Jónsi & Alex. It's ambient and calm and beautiful. They spent a long time producing the Riceboy Sleeps album (spoilers: Alex is Riceboy) and it couldn't be more perfect. I suppose it may not be to your taste but I consider it one of the greatest albums and no one shall convince me otherwise. Stokkseyri is also a tiny town in Iceland.

Stokkseyri by Jónsi & Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment