Powered by Blogger.

Themes in Flowers

Sunday 3 February 2013

I reviewed Sin Fang's Flowers over in this post but also wrote some unorganised crap about themes too. Here it is.


Themes
With Sin Fang displaying all the lyrics on his website, it’s easy to analyse themes in his music. In this album, the persona definitely craves to shine brighter as a person and light and darkness are contrasted as well as mysterious references to anatomy – particularly skulls and eyes.

What’s Wrong With Your Eyes (hereon known as WWWYE) has a lyric “I threw my arms into the darkness/we flew out of windows/made the trees grow out of our eyes”.

Look At The Light definitely mentions light and references eyes too – “Look at the light while we pull the stones up the well/a mountain with eyes” and “I told myself one day I’d be a shining light for you to look at”. This song cites both the persona’s need to be worshiped by a partner and light/dark contrast, as the song is reasonably heavy in tone yet speaks of lightness. The music video also shows beams of light coming from Sin Fang’s eyes and a distinct lack of clarity towards his features. The video is mostly footage in reverse, shot from behind or beneath.

Sunbeam starts to visit other themes – childhood and family love. It feels to me like it was written about, for or to his toddler daughter in some way. After all, it opens with “Big eyes child”, with choice lyrics such as “we didn’t have much but it was enough for me”, “I’ll be a rock, a boulder/I’ll be your spirit hand holder” but also seems to slip into more romantic love as he sings about the person being away from him with other people. But the tone is childlike and kind, taking a break from the more serious themes seen in the album.

Feel See talks about mountains and caves, which are declared in other songs like WWWYE, and has our first mention of skulls – “echoes in my skull” – and self-doubt is added, which connects with the theme of wanting to shine and be special – “everything is wasted on me”.

See Ribs is another song like Sunbeam that breaks away from the main themes I have identified and doesn’t fit in especially.

Catcher unquestionably follows the theme of shining and anatomy – “Let me feel what it’s like to be/Beautiful and one of the things/You look at that shine so bright”, “I want you to look at me/And see something no one else can see”, “A thousand stars exploding in my skull”, “Let me feel what it’s like to be/A pair of eyes/Looking at the sun that sank in the sea”. I apologise for the mass of lyrics but this song has a lot of relevant material. It also talks about dreams which will come up in the next few songs and wells that are spoken about in Look At The Light.

The new theme of dreams is heavily talked about in Everything Alright, bones and blood and sickness as well. The sickness links back to Young Boys where the persona wants to be hurt like whomever he is singing about so he can feel like them.

Flesh, bones and sickness are imagery that come up in Not Enough, almost like an epilogue or coda of Everything Alright and there is more self-doubt.

Finally, Weird Heart concludes the album and the themes in this song are that of the self-doubt (“when I can’t put anything into words/help me like I help you”) though it reach out more, like it wants to be better and accepted. The theme of being needed and needing to be shining in your love’s eyes is concluded, and light/dark contrasts are shown between the music and the lyrics. Though skulls or eyes are not specifically identified, he talks of being disconnected, spaced and looking into another world.

No comments:

Post a Comment