Powered by Blogger.

Let's talk about Dan.

Monday 8 July 2013

If you know anything about my real life (eg, you didn't just stumble across this blog when googling 'rupert graves cute') or have glanced at a blog post called Project Busking, you'll know I have a friend called Dan. So let's talk about him. He's got a great beard, all his instruments are left handed and he plays them to a decent standard too.

Because we are friends, I tend to spend a lot of time doing things for him. I'm not complaining, any excuse for me to get a camera out, I'll bloody take it, but yes. We make a lot of videos together. Well - he'll mess around and I'll put the hard work in. Just kidding, it's the best.

So, let's recap all the little projects I've done for him, a kind of master post, though I have more I haven't finished yet.



In March, Dan and a band he plays with (because he hates me calling it 'his band') This Venture did a gig and I took a bunch of photos. Here are the highlights.

This Venture - Dan & ZacDan SimpsonThis Venture - Alex & ZacThis Venture - Dan & Zac

The rest of the set is here.

In April came Project Busking, a short lived attempt to earn some dosh out in London. Yeah, it snowed. I wrote a full account of day in a blog post here, which includes a lovely video I made of one of the songs Dan and Matt played. I took some photos too, of course, and here are some more highlights, as I didn't post them before.

Off to buskDan on the Southbank

Some more photos can be found here.

May was quiet as far as my content goes. Dan played with This Venture at a battle of the bands type gig at his school, which was rather fun to watch. The green room was delightful and Dan played with a special guest known only by the name Flipchart that night. I was cheering from the wings. There was also a gig at a pub that month, though details escape me. My, what a day, what a night. Again, another special guest, Katie, joined in and I think I had a little sing as well. 

Then it was June and I found my camera again and Dan and I spent an afternoon recording some rough tracks, a few of which were sent to other band members to be heard prior the next rehearsal. I even ended up making a mini documentary out of the day and man, I am quite proud of it.


Another thing that happened in June was an open mic session at our local Costa Coffee. I recorded Dan's solo set and his encore. Here's the videos.

Yarmouth Town / Be Strong / Love It When You Call live

Ewe would not believe (Sheep song) live (encore)

July brought wonderful sunshine and also some delightful lighting. Dan and Matt played a small open mic set in another coffee shop of the name of Harris + Hoole. Someone else was filming so my shyness got the better of me so I hide in the corner and just took photos.

Dan and Matt - This Venture.Dan and Matt - This Venture.Matt and the setting sun.

More photos here.

And that brings you about up to date with all things Dan and This Venture. Well, that's only half true. There was a band rehearsal about a week ago I went along to and filmed but that is taking me forever to edit because I care far too much about the result. Also the heat is killing me here in fair England.

Check these bros on facebook and twitter yes? Good. Right, that's enough talking from me, now watch those damn videos if you haven't already, a lot of hard work went into them! I know you're putting it off but take a chance on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment