Powered by Blogger.

Should The Doctor have done the thing?

Sunday 24 November 2013

THERE ARE DOCTOR WHO SPOILERS HERE.
So someone sent me a question on tumblr about my thoughts on the plot of The Day of The Doctor, about if the original plan should have happened. They asked me to reply privately to it but I want to share what I wrote back so I thought I'd stick it on my little blog and just share it with my friends. My thoughts aren't particularly detailed but I honestly hadn't given it much thought. It's more of a stream of consciousness.


Q: Do you think it would have been better if the Day of the Doctor had ended with him going through with the original plan, but at least accepting what he did and coming to terms with it rather than continuing to hide from it (i.e. if Clara hadn't gotten in the way)?
I'm not sure if it would have been better exactly. I think the episode would have had to go a different way entirely for it to have been a better outcome for the original plan to have taken place.

The reasons behind the decision should have been explored more. The idea of "how many children?" was an okay motif but it could have had a lot more depth to it (rather than just showing a couple of kids, probably would have been more emotive to show a school of children possibly?). 

From what we learn from Nine, it had to have been done, he had to end the war to save the universe and is mysterious enough about it to keep it interesting and viewers empathetic towards him. You would have thought that in a special episode dedicated to the one decision the doctor made that affected him for 3 regenerations (after specifically regenerating into that form so he had the strength to do it), that we might actually get a better reason that "save the children" as a reason not to do it.

Nine's doctor also shows strong emotion about killing the daleks (whether remorse mixed up in anger at them and guilt for sacrificing his people or something else, strong emotion is still important) and also showed that when faced with having to kill the daleks a second time, this time sacrificing earth, he couldn't do it. HOWEVER when the 13 doctors save Gallifrey and kill the daleks, there is no remorse at all. No emotion. It's just a killing two birds with one stone situation and the doctor(s) feel nothing about committing genocide on another race (even if they are evil and "the bad guys").

War Doctor should have learnt about the personalities of his future regenerations to truly understand the impact his choices make and while it could be argued that his comments on their silliness prove he did learn about them, realistically, how much can you learn about the depth of a person in an hour? 

While I felt the episode was better than I expected (although my expectations were pretty low tbh), there was still a shallowness to the story, no impending sense of doom or time restrictions. Maybe it would have been better if he had accepted his choice and come to terms with it, rather than erasing it (which totally probably should have caused paradoxes as it was, with three regenerations and three tardis' in the same room and well as changing a fixed point in history itself - unless they were simply projections/hallucinations made by the interface?).

While saying that, I am a little bit excited at the idea of the doctor now going on a quest to find his home. I felt the last couple of series had very little direction as to where they were actually going, so maybe now some clear goals have been established, the writing quality will pick up again.

It probably would have made a more interesting and deeper episode if the doctor had gone through with the original plan, but I'm not totally disappointed that it didn't happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment